View Single Post
Old
06-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
How about Mike Sillinger? He seems to fit the bill of a guy who can fill in on the top lines and will be in some demand at the trade deadline.

I'm still liking the Brett Hull idea. With a shortened season, his old legs will be in better shape. He won't be worn out at the end of the season, and we can promise him a trade to a contender at the deadline if anyone wants him. I think he'd be a great mentor to young players also.
Several problems with Hull:

1) Hull is noT a LW. He has ALWAYS played RW. He would have to play behind Jagr.
2) Hull is not a very good teacher role model. In fact, why do you think the Red Wings don't want him back? If he was a terrific role model, the Red Wings would have kept him for another year due to his obvious on-ice chemistry with Datsyuk.
3) I heard from a radio interview with one of the former assistant Gm's to Dallas Stars about Hull's attitude problems. After Dallas won the cup, he became a bitter, whining player always griping about something. That why Dallas cut him loose. When he came to Detroit, he had a more positive attitude, but then after they won the Cup, Hull again became a terrible attitude in the dressing room.
4) Haven't you noticed how much Hull floats out there?

If you were really looking for mentors who would offer a strong professional outlook:
1) Igor Larionov
2) Adam Oates. - I'm an Oiler fan, and from interviews from both media and players alike, even though Oates had a terrible season in pts, he brought a level of professionalism and attention to detail to the dressing room. He helped teach our young centreman (Horcoff, Stoll) tricks and keys to winning faceoffs.