Old
06-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
I think I did, some may say sign but really they are taking away from a team that placed money time and development into a player. Am I angry we didn't get any compensation for Gomez, Rafaski and Niedermayer. Yes, we should have gotten 3 1st round picks, instead we got nothing.
It's still not worded right, players become UFAs, it's in the CBA. The entire idea of being a free agent is just that, you gave your dues to the team that drafted you, now you get to enjoy the fruits of your hard work and sign where you want, for the best money you can get.

BTW if you think this is stealing, imagine what the European teams are feeling about their top talent being snatched away every single season when they literally developed those players (unlike the NHL, in Europe the players go to schools and are sponsored by the teams as they learn the game). The difference is most European teams don't get more than a single productive season from their developed players, the moment a player is viable NHL talent he's gone, zero compensation.

To put it shortly, all teams lose players to UFA, all teams get to maintain RFAs as much as they like. It's fair.

When the Devils wanted Elias they gave him the money, so it's not like the Devils can't financially maintain the services of players they want, granted the players has to want to play for them as well.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote