Thread: Draft Talk
View Single Post
Old
06-03-2004, 09:41 AM
Oceanic39*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petec1978
Pinault was supposed to be a lottery pick going into the year but really stubbed his toe production wise. Its tough to step in as a freshman in the NCAA and have a huge impact unless you're the best of the best prospects.

I just can't justify taking him in the first round when he had just 8 points all season. He's another guy maybe you look at if you trade down into the 2nd.

-Pete Choquette
I agree, however, if Jay is feeling lucky and wants to take a high-risk/high-reward pick, Pineault could be the guy.

I don't like reading this about him, though: "He's called the Mystery Man for good reason (THN)," "He did not work hard and he is a myster man. He has gone backwards and why, we don't know. (scout)" They all keep pointing to the fact he didn't play, but point to his under-17 teams he was so "great" on. Projected as a top-2 line power forward.

Re: Berti

Some comments that stuck out:

"When he wakes up and wants to play, he can play (scout)."
"He reminds me of Clark Gillies in that Gillies played very passively if you left him alone. Slash him once or twice and you got him going.(scout)"
"You wish he was more competative (NHL exec)" This one isn't good, but you could be describing Adam Henrich in his draft year.

Re: Seitsonen

I agree, Pete, he can't be a #1 with those numbers. But comments that stuck out in his profile:

"They [Finnish players] just work and work and work. (scout)"
"Good size, average scill, and is very competitive. (THN)"
"I don't know if he'll be a big scorer at the NHL level, but he won't be outworked.(scout)"

So, you're not only thinking 2nd at best, but maybe lower. Here's why I think he's a candidate:

"He has good smarts and good puck skills (scout)."
"Scouts can't wait until next season to see how he faris in his 2nd year in the WHL... he played in the Top Prospets Game and had the 4th best 60 yard dash and posted the 9th fastest in the fastest skater competition."

They make it sound like he's got untapped offensive potential to go along with the Tortorella-ingredients. For the record, he scored 15 in 14 with Ahmat in the Mid. and 18 in 40 with Hameen in the Finnish Jrs.

I think he'd be one to even trade up to the mid-2nd to get. Perhaps package a fifth or fourth (not the CLB pick, or do we have another 4th?) with our 2nd to move up 10 or so spots if he's still there in round 2.