View Single Post
Old
06-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Nylander and Straka played very well with Jagr because they were both willing to play off of him. A lot of Rangers fans I know were very exciting when Gomez signed figuring that he'd stick with Jagr and Shanahan. In the words of one hockey writer I know (I will not name him, works at an NY paper): "Gomez is great, he will move his hips, get grinding ... now Jagr can float, Shannie can float and look for one-timers."

Well, obviously it did not play out that way and that is because I think at this stage in his career Jagr has to dominate the puck and with good reason, he is only a couple years removed from a brilliant all-around season where he was equally adept as a setup guy or scorer.

I think Sundin could score quite a few goals playing with Jagr but I don't know that their chemistry would be ideal. With the big offer coming in from Omsk, it may be moot now.

As for Nylander, I thought the money spent on Drury would have been better spent on him and a defenseman, for what the Rangers paid they could have probably re-signed Nylander and brought in Hannan on someone like that. That said, I don't think the Capitals are all that excited to have Nylander under these contract terms, so no huge loss there.