View Single Post
Old
06-28-2008, 09:52 AM
dedalus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
when did I use Cup contention as a reason for signing him? my point was simply that the Rangers have a better chance at contending for the Cup with Jagr in the lineup.
1. iluvmarberrys used Cup contention as his reason. I replied to his post, and you responded to my rebuttal of him. It seems reasonable to assume you wer adopting his position.

2. There is no "chance" here. Either the team is a Cup contender or it's not.

Quote:
this is what I'm afraid of, and is the main reason I want Jagr back, so that it prevents Sather from going out and offering a ridiculous amount of money to Hossa, which we all know is what's going to happen if Jagr doesn't come back. Hossa isn't a guy you build a team around, he's a complementary piece, which is why he did so well in Pittsburgh.
And you're of the mind that Jagr IS someone around whom to build a team? As for Hossa, even if he were only that, I see that as no problem at all. An elite complementary player lined up next to Scott Gomez would, IMO, be just as effective as a declining Jagr, quite probably more so.

Quote:
I don't consider OT/SO losses to be actual losses, therefore I don't see them as 2 games above .500, but 15 games above .500.
*chuckles* You're willing to count overtime and shootout wins as wins, but you're NOT willing to count overtime and shootout losses as losses.

Convenient indeed.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm referring to individual talent, not team performance. Individually, Jagr is far more skilled than the next best player on the Rangers (probably Gomez). Removing him from the equation significantly weakens the team, while at the same time significantly strengthening any other NHL team he signs with. If that's an East team like the Pens or Habs, the Rangers can't compete with that, period.
And what makes you think the Rangers can compete with Pittsburgh at present? Certainly not their playoff performance with Jagr in the line-up playing about as well as he can.

We'll keep doing the same dance on your first statement: whether or how much weaker the Rangers get depends entirely on what Sather does instead of signing Jagr. If you're of the mind that absolutely no combination of moves can possibly make up for the loss of Jagr, I can see you point. I am far from that mind. There was a time when Jagr was that good, but those days have passed him by.

Last edited by dedalus: 06-28-2008 at 10:07 AM.
dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote