View Single Post
Old
06-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Ace2008

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
These are all totally absurd. Guys, get back to reality here. The scary part is you actually want this.

This is a horrible UFA group this summer. Virtually all of the top UFAs are sorely overrated and are bound to be way, way overpaid. The Rangers already significantly hampered themselves by overpaying Gomez and Drury (you know it's true), so why would you want them to do the same.

The Rangers should sign some older veterans or cheaper guys to 2-3 year deals and wait for the real UFAs, in 2010, like Kovalchuk. Give me Sundin and Jagr, or a guy like Ryder for a 2 or 3 year deal so that they all come off the books by the time the real big names are available.
although you're right about the ufa quality being poor...

A--I only sign 1 utility grinder Cooke,Ruutu,or Tucker league avg 1.5

b-Sundin is still a #1 Center in every Sense of the word and Power Centers that win Faceoffs w/ his size and skill are quite rare about 1 in every 3-4 drafts

C- I only looked to add 1 top pair Dman if Roz isn't resigned and the deal would be a maximum of 2 years...let the young defenders be the core once Staal's contract needs to be renegotiated.

D- The overpaying of UFa's is relative to how much other teams have in cap cash---last season lots of NYr rivals had plenty of cap cash and so the NYR actually helped themselves by getting 2 Calder winning and multi Stanley Cup appearing/Winning top 20 Centers

the Duo of Drury and Gomez aren't just #1 guys in the Faceoff Circle they're better then over 50% of the #1 pivots in the league

THAT'S CALLED competitive advantage....realize that size being less of an issue and both Drury and Gomez's speed being a solid asset makes the overpaying of roughly a 2 million dollars/ per year over the next 5 about the same as a team buying out an older vet over the long term

its' happened since the cap to about 11 teams

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote