View Single Post
Old
06-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
Incorporate more youth when? This year? I actually think Route A is the more "youth-friendly" move as I would assume both Jagr and Sundin would be signed to short term (2 year max.) deals that would expire just as our best kids are ready to play. Hossa and Campbell, if signed, will be around for quite some time.

I could live with that offensive lineup, but what about the D? Tomorrow, as always, is going to be a hell of a lot of fun.
Yeah, Jagr and Sundin would mean the Rangers are still shooting for the cup while waiting for their prospects to develop.

In all honesty, it's not a bad idea. Unless the Rangers can pull some trades to bring in top quality young players from another team, their future now really rests on guys like Cherepanov panning out, and he's obviously at least a year away.

So...re-sign your captain from last year, who can still be one of the best players on the ice at any given game. Go after a top centerman to give him someone to play with, and don't hand out long contracts to either of them. In the meantime, hope your young roster players continue to develop (therefor making the team better) and look to the guys in Hartford to continue their development and maybe get a callup when necessary and help the team out. The team stays competitive while it waits for some of its young players to develop

The downside, like you said, is the D and what the Rangers can do with it. They may end up having to re-sign someone like Rozsival and go after a depth defenseman to get some physicality back there, if they want. Campbell and Redden probably become too pricey, but I've been pretty "meh" on having them longterm anyways. It's alright if it works out that way, but I'm not crying if the Rangers miss out on the chance to overpay either one of them.

It's not perfect, but it wouldn't be bad