View Single Post
Old
06-30-2008, 03:11 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think if Hagelin takes the 10 spot we've seriously overrated him.

He's got some good skills, but there are guys on that list that I think are better prospects by a pretty wide margin.

Though I have a feeling Hagelin is going to be our new "HF Boards Only" prospect. His value will be higher here than anywhere else. And a few years from now we'll have people swearing he deserves a look and how stupid the Rangers are for not giving him a chance, etc.

There's always at least one, usually no more than two. It's like the damn Sith.
To be fair - and yes, I'm a fan who goes off what I read (here and elsewhere) and the scant clips I can dig up online - my vote goes almost exclusively on potential and not on how close a prospect is or even "risk-adjusted" potential. I think many others put a much higher priority on making the show vs. what the player might be if he does make the show. In HF parlance, I weight Hagelin's 7.0D over Potter's 6.5C. (Not that I necessarily buy into the exact rating in each case, but it happens to be an apt example for this point.)

So, yes, I chose Hagelin over Potter, because based on what he achieved as a meaningful contributor as a freshman on a Frozen Four Michigan squad, I think his potential could reach as high as a top 6, perhaps even (minute chance) top 3 forward - despite the fact that it still might be only 50/50 that he even makes the NHL at all.

Potter, on the other hand, I think has almost a 90% chance of reaching the big club, but I think his potential tops out at #4 D, so I put him behind Hagelin. Close behind, mind you, but still behind.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 06-30-2008 at 03:16 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote