View Single Post
Old
06-30-2008, 06:08 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
This is where a lot of fans are differing in opinion.

Some are projecting a Jagr whos healthy, not effected by age, and having a more productive year with the right players around him. Some of us, think the opposite.
Here's what I'm saying:

It doesn't even matter.

It doesn't matter whether Jagr will/would put up 100 points next season or 30.

It doesn't matter because with or without him, we will not be a serious cup contender next season barring some serious unforeseen trades/signings.

So the question becomes what are you trying to get out of next season?

If the answer is one more year of a Jaromir Jagr-based offense that maybe squeaks us into an 8th seed and a 1st round exit, then let's re-sign him no matter the cost.

But perhaps it would be wiser to see what this team is without him because that's all the future holds. We don't know what these players are capable of without Jagr. We don't know what our powerplay looks like without Jagr. We know nothing about this team without Jagr as the centerpiece.

I'd rather learn all of that sooner rather than later. Let's get a head-start on the next era.

As much as I've wanted to see Jagr lift the cup in a Rangers jersey, I'd rather focus on making sure that someone lifts the cup in a Rangers jersey.

And to do that I believe we need to start assessing what roles our current players can play in the future.