View Single Post
Old
06-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35 View Post
i really think of huge speciman as a burtuzzi tape of player. he really sucked when he played with the icelander and look what happened after that? i want him playing 4th minutes and see what he can do from that spot. he's big strong and my only reservation is skating ability other that that he should get a shot.
Problem is that Bertuzzi, while far from the star he would become with the Canucks, jumped right to the NHL at 20 and scored 18 goals. Additionally by the time he was Hugh's age now he was scoring 25 goals.

Right now Hugh's AHL progress amounts to what Betuzzi was doing at the NHL level when he was "disappointing."

Also, I think his current problems go a little beyond just skating and have been for a while. The fact of the matter is that Hugh hasn't really even stood out against kids his own age since being drafted, let alone dominated them.

Right now, if Hugh is going to do anything, it's going to have to come from playing a lot and not from playing fourth line minutes. But therin lies the catch-22 with Hugh. He needs a lot of minutes but he's continually getting beaten out by prospects in his age range for those minutes and opportunities.

Moving forward he'll have a chance for icetime with guys like Korpikoski, byers and moore challanging for spots (and Dawes not coming back to the AHL) but he'll face a new round of challangers in Dupont, Hillier and others who, while lacking Hugh's size and first rounder status, seem to have a better "feel" for the type of roles they'll play as they move forward.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote