View Single Post
Old
06-30-2008, 09:26 PM
MM425

vCash: 500
Don't get me wrong here... I'm not saying adding Sundin or Hossa wouldn't help the team a great deal and might push the team "over the top".

My point is that big name UFA signings often do little in determining/affecting the eventual Stanley Cup champions.

It's no co-incidence that Detroit and New Jersey have been the most sucessful franchises of the last 15 years and big spending teams who try and patch their teams via the UFA route (New York, Toronto) have been largely unsucessful.

I guess my point is that we want to be Detroit (look for the right fits to compliment our core players) and not a New York or Toronto (try and buy the biggest and best name regardless of how he fits within the roster).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Niedermayer doesn't count because of a 'team effort'? Are you nuts? Do you think it's just a coincidence that they won the cup after signing one of the best defencemen in the league?
Niedermayer was signed the season before their Cup, so even he didn't pay immediate dividends.

Anaheim won because the whole team played a punishing physical style and wore down all their apponents. Everyone had a role and everyone was committed to the same game-plan (i.e - the right mix of players). Nieds played a huge role (won the Conn Smythe, I believe), but it was the team effort that ultimately won them the cup.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-30-2008 at 09:42 PM.
MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote