View Single Post
Old
06-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Habruti!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
Don't get me wrong here... I'm not saying adding Sundin or Hossa wouldn't help the team a great deal and might push the team "over the top".

My point is that big name UFA signings often do little in determining/affecting the eventual Stanley Cup champions.

It's no co-incidence that Detroit and New Jersey have been the most sucessful franchises of the last 15 years and big spending teams who try and patch their teams via the UFA route (New York, Toronto) have been largely unsucessful.

I guess my point is that we want to be Detroit (look for the right fits to compliment our core players) and not a New York or Toronto (try and buy the biggest and best name regardless of how he fits within the roster).
I would not dissagree neither agree with this. I treat dead line acquisition the same way as UFA in the sense they are new players from outside. Now on that point you have to look at the teams that had some success in the playoff last year... The Pens who added Hossa, Detroit added Stuart...I would say it was successfull for them...

For the UFAs, I would think that teams that have added core pieces of the team (not complements) have had problems in general... The NYR took pretty much half of the season to recover from the addition of Gomez and Drury. The FLyers took pretty much all season to recover from the addition Briere, Smith and company...

Point is if you had UFAs or core guys don't count on them to be the goto guys during the season... but when come post season and there used to play with your team, you might get your moneys worth...

This is what a Hossa, Sundin, Roslton would be for us... we could do without them and have a very good team, adding them justs puts us to another level and gives us the depth required to go far in the playoff.

Just my 2 cents...

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote