Shareefruck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
So far I see the Canucks line-up in this manner:

Sedin-Sedin-X= 7.15
X-X-Wellwood(Gillis said he can play center or right wing) = 997,500
Burrows-Kesler-Pettinger = 3.233
Hordichuk-Johnson-X = 1.925(assuming Hordichuk replaces Cowans salary)

Defence = 15.9 million

Goaltending = 6.75 million

Total = 35.9555 million

Which means Canucks still have a whopping 20.744 million dollars of cap space when calculating the roster.

I don't see Raymond receiving a full-time roster spot due to the fact that Canucks would rather have more proven talent injected into the line-up because of the two-year window with Luongo. A full season in the AHL can only benefit Raymond's progress and we can expect a much more seasoned player for next season. Many people may not like Wellwood but he may be the most talented player on the Canucks roster in terms of raw skill and if he comes to camp in excellent condition, like Gillis has stated, he will be a top 6 winger because of his talent. Canucks still have tons of cap room
Honestly, I would much rather have Raymond in the line-up than Wellwood (even if what I'm worrying about is putting out a competitive team instead of player development). He may not be as gifted offensively, but he brings more of an element IMO, and really there's nothing that says he can't produce at a similar rate. There are also far fewer weaknesses in his game (Wellwood has a TON).

If there was any real indication that we were automatically giving Wellwood a roster spot, I would think that he was a terrible signing. I see it more as a high-reward reclamation project that provides a backup plan whenever anyone goes down.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote