View Single Post
Old
07-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
That Counting Crows "Mr. Jones & Me" Youtube was good enough for me ... but in all seriousness ... how would you compare his skating to other NHL power forwards ... eg Penner, and players of that ilk
If we're talking about just Penner here, IMO I think Ryan is a better skater as far as his speed and agility go, though I think Penner is a bit more of a powerful (for a lack of a better term) skater that Ryan is. This is not to say that Ryan isn't strong on his skates because he is. Ryan isn't as fast as say an Andrew Cogliano. He has good speed but he isn't a speed demon. But he's fast enough to get loose pucks quickly. Where Ryan is going to be most effective is in utilizing his combination of speed, grit and determination. He'll crash the net hard and he'll also dig hard for loose pucks. He's also very effective along the boards and in the corners too. Because of his size and strength, he's not going to get knocked off of pucks that easily. And because he's plays with that grittiness, he'll fight for the puck tooth and nail. If it means dropping the mitts to keep momentum going, he'll do it. He just couldn't do it much in college much because of NCAA rules governing fighting. Bottom line is, he's not giving up on the play without a fight.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote