View Single Post
Old
07-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Fido22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
On the market yes, Streit might be worth more than Komi for the same reason that a Defensive Defenseman will never be part of the All-Star game or win a Norris trophy.

The ones that usually get the big money are the ones that put up offensive numbers.

Also, when you negotiate during the season, their value is lower.
Streit wasn't going to get anything more than 2.5 here. If Komi waits for open market, sure he'll get 4-5 maybe even 6. But he isn't on the open market, which is why i said I don't think Gainey will sign him for more than 4M if he does extend him before July 1st.
Komi has to agree. He can just wait to get UFA status. I think if the Habs can get him to sign a long term extension at 5M$ per, I'll be all for that. Of course, if it's 4M$ per, all the better...but 5M$ would still be a good move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Have to give credit to Gainey, though. He did get Andrei Markov signed to a VERY affordable contract. Aside from Theodore, Bob is pretty good at retaining key talented players at a reasonable price.

It's absolutely not a guarantee that Komisarek will stay here, but I think Gainey has done well in that respect and maybe can convince Komisarek.

But if Komisarek has a great season, and with the upcoming (poor) crop of UFA defensemen, I think there's potential for Komisarek to break the bank and get an obscene salary on the free market next year, if that's what he wants.
Komi seems commited to the team, like Markov was. He seems like a good candidate to start talks with early.