View Single Post
Old
07-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Interior Cascadian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I don't see his moves as great at all right now.

basically he's filling the holes with question marks that may or may not work out... no different than what Nonis had been doing... he brought in Sanford, Isbister, Chouinard, Santala, Cowan, Weaver, Ritchie, Green, etc... to plug into depth roles ... most of those guys didn't work out, but how is bringing back the same goalie (Sanford), a waiver pickup (Wellwood), a 4th line center (Johnson) and a 7th dman (Baumer), really any different??

time will tell if these guys work out better, but from what I can see, it's the same bargain bin that Gillis is shopping in, that Nonis did... let's just hope that the pieces he's picking up from that same bin end up working out better, but at this point there's nothing to suggest that they will work out any better than the pieces that Nonis brought in - and was criticized for.

not that I'm criticizing him for his moves yet... too early to tell... I just don't see a whole lot being different with the pluggers Gillis has gotten for the depth roles, than what Nonis had gotten in the past.
It seems like these signings more or less fulfill specific demands the team has had. Hordichuk definately adds grit, Johnson should bolster our PK (something that's dropped off a ways from the year before last). Baumer may be filler, much like what Nonis did for additions last year, as is Sanford (I'm a little disappointed they didn't upgrade to Auld or Valliquette, but it's not like Sanford was a liability last year). Wellwood was a low risk move with high potential, like we've said all along. I can't criticize that. So signing Baumer was a lateral move, Sanford was just about all that was left after the goalies got sucked up pretty quickly. The others I view as steps forward. Not large steps, but logical steps that at least for now make the bottom 6 more solidified than last year's bottom 6.

Interior Cascadian is offline   Reply With Quote