View Single Post
Old
07-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Dions shoulder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli92 View Post
Hagman was probably one of the better signings of the day, so I agree I would have liked him at that price.

But the example of Hagman proves my point. In 2005-06 he put up 21 points in a full schedule, next year he scored 30 points, then last year he scored 41 (27 goals). Before last year his production was nothing to give $3M to. In fact, that production is similar to the 12 points in 48 games of Dustin Boyd. You need to hope production comes from within sometimes, rather than go out and sign it (while they are going to get maximum $). I'm not saying Boyd will go from a .25 PPG to a .5 PPG, but I think promotion from within (signed to cheap 1st or 2nd contracts) is the key to success around the league. Its a gamble to hope for this development, but a neccessary one I feel. It would easier if we had more confidence in our scouting and drafting, unfortunately.

A legitimate 2nd liner isn't going to fall in our laps via FA this year, I'm afraid.
Agreed, I am optimistic about how the young guys will progress. I dont think they will turn heads, but they will chip in and do their part for the team. Boyd will be given more ice time and responsibility, he is an example of a player that will get a boost in offensive output.

Dions shoulder is offline   Reply With Quote