View Single Post
Old
07-03-2008, 05:27 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon View Post
Actually not true. He has great balance and he used to make big open-ice hits/hip-checks in FNL.

I believe he is told to avoid risks and focus on puck-moving game rather than trying to be more aggressive in physical game. He is a lot like Poor Manīs Timonen and still developing, but I guess he is never going to become more than 2nd pair Dman at highest.
Very true, Koistinen was told to play more conservatively last season in terms of making open ice hits. This decision was two-fold, first his foot speed isn't the greatest and by stepping up in the neutral zone to make a hit he took himself out of the play and second the coaching staff wanted him to really simplify his game as much as possible to help his transition to the speed of the NHL game.

I think what is overlooked here is that while Koistinen is not known in Nashville for making very many big hits, he does not hesitiate to take the body and finish checks to separate his man from the puck. That is the primary goal of a body check - to separate your man from the puck...everything else is secondary.

I was actually quite impressed at times last season with Ville's willingness to take the body at times. However, it was really inconsistent and had a lot to do with his overall confidence level. The biggest thing that Ville must demonstrate this season is that he can be consistent over an 82 game schedule, plus playoffs. I think with the trade of Zidlicky and the obvious opening of a spot for him in our top six defensemen that that will go a long way to helping promote confidence, but at the same time Ville must step into camp and really cement the spot as his right off the bat.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote