View Single Post
Old
06-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Chayos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
To clarify something, I am not a Blue Jackets fan. I'm a Blues fan.

Now that that's out of the way...

The value of the #4 pick is going to be based on the preceived potential of that pick and in most cases, an organization is going to think that they can get a potential franchise player with that pick and isn't going to trade it for a player like Brewer unless, of course, that team think Brewer has the potential to be a franchise player (which I don't).

It is an achnowledged fact that this years draft is a 2 horse race with everyone else coming up in different order on different teams lists. I have read Repeatedly that if this years barker was in last years draft he would have fallen after suter, phaneuf and coburn, so if that is the indicator then this years 4th is last years 10th pick. To base the value of the 4th pick this year by the standards of players picked in prior years is a flawed premise.

The offer of Brewer and the 14th for Klesla and the 4th is actually pretty close IMO. Please bear in mind Brewer is only about 4 years older than Klesla and that to date there is absolutly no comparison in level of play. The CBJ fans keep talking about the potential of Klesla and how he could be better than brewer in the end, but the reality is there is a small window for players to develop into stars and time is ticking on Klesla right now. If the oil make this deal they are taking a risk that klesla even turns into a player let alone a 25 min a night d-man. The difference between the 14th and the 4th pick is the compensation for that risk. If CBJ make this deal it would be because they want to be more competive now or aren't enamoured of klesla anymore.