View Single Post
Old
07-04-2008, 08:02 AM
NorthlandPro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Tom Renney is here to stay, for a looooong, looooong time. I think hes a seriously overrated coach, but these moves scream Sather getting players to fit Renneys style, rather than Renney converting players to play his style (with the exception of Zherdev, who played very well in a defensive system last year for the first time in his career)
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but, I don't think you could be any more wrong in that opinion. Renney has never had a team suited to his style of play. This one that is being assembled is more in line to that style of play. With so many new players it will take time to come together, say the new year. Then just like all of Renney's NYR teams they will play much better the 2nd half of the season after using the 1st half to organize and get everyone comfortable with their roles on the team.

Renney has assembled the best coaching staff in my memory. You can not play an all out forechecking game unless you are fundementally sound in your own end and your defensive assignments. That is why you see him have what appears to be different standards for rookies or young players and veterans. He and his staff hone them into better all round players able to be defensively responsible before they are given quality ice time. Maybe you prefer Ron Low or Bryan Trottier?

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote