Thread: Shanahan?
View Single Post
Old
07-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Lafontaine

vCash: 500
I agree but...

I agree that Shanny is too slow for our top two lines actually. Perhaps he plays limited minutes 5 on 5, or just teams with Laraque and Chipchura to form a bang line.

The reason I am thinking we need someone like him is for the reason (gulp, I hate to say it) Don Cherry pointed out quite clearly in the play-offs. Our powerplay sucked when the going got tough because there was no one who would pay the price in the crease. I am not set on Shanahan, but I think that someone like him (Nolan?) is really what this team needs outside of a number one center!

As far as our Centers, I am sorry, but Sundin might be a long shot and we NEED someone else. No one in Hamilton can step up and be competent with someone like Kovalev or Tanguay on his wings. Look, I know that none of the UFA Centers are that exciting, but on a one or two year deal, it just makes sense to hire some experienced insurance.

As another poster said, the other option is we wait, and then try for a trade once we miss Sundin. Even if that happens, attracting Nolan or Shanahan frees us up to use one of our wingers as trade bait.

Lafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote