View Single Post
Old
06-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
ya, some of the BJ fans have been without a top pairing Dman for so long they don't know the value of one - especially one that is still young and improving. Brewer has the skill set to be a top five Dman in the league - now whether he puts it all together to be that or not is another thing - but the fact is that he's already a top pairing guy on about 90% of the teams in the NHL.
Call me crazy, but what makes you say that Brewer has the skill set to be one of the top 5 d-men in the league? I really like Eric Brewer, but I think he's in over his head as a #1 d-man. When you are talking top 5 d-man in the league, you are talking about some supremely skilled players, and I don't put Brewer close to that group of players.

While he still only 25, and about to enter his prime, he has never scored 30 points in an NHL season. He ended up last year at 25 despite playing almost 25 minutes per game. He should of accidentally gotten more than 10 PP points just based on icetime. I think that Brewer's Olympic team selection (especially with having Lowe being very active in that process) have really overinflated people's expectation of EB.

To be a #1 d-man, you either have to be good at everything, or you have to be absolutely dominant at something, and average everywhere else. That might just be my silly way of thinking of a #1 d-man, but I haven't seen a better description.