View Single Post
Old
07-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I'm not sure he's the answer. He has all the tools, but the pre-draft concerns have completely resurfaced after a strong rookie campaign. He's only 23, so there's plenty of time for him to blossom and a lot of powerforwards are late bloomers, but he's had two straight disappointing seasons.

We'd be giving away pretty nice assets for a guy I'm not sure wouldn't be a healthy scratch for large portions of the season. If he's not on the top two lines, Trotz is gonna bench him a lot in favor of more "trustworthy" guys on the back two lines.

Poile was almost undoubtedly aware that Bernier was being shopped. No offense guys, but it almost defies logic that Poile, or someone in the organization, wasn't aware of his availability. You can rest assured that Regier had his people contact someone in every organization in the Western Conference, and possibly some in the East, in order to maximize his value. There's no stockmarket for trading these assets, so GMs have to seek out and find as many willing buyers as possible. And that would certainly have included the Predators. And Poile more than likely felt he wasn't worth that package, otherwise he would have pulled the trigger.
On Bernier: I guess I should stick to my guns on him. I was against acquiring him last year at the deadline due to his inconsistency and for his stupidity on the ice. However, I do think he is a reasonable gamble at a 2nd and 3rd round pick due to the amount of qualities he could bring to our team - physicality, size, and scoring.

On Poile: Yesterday's trade could have been a bang-bang trade. The circumstances on the two acquisitions by Buffalo, lead me to believe that it might have happened relatively quickly. My remarks had nothing to do with Poile doing a poor job, but more to reflect how quickly and unexpectedly the trade went down.