View Single Post
Old
07-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
First of all; I'd rather sign Sundin, Jason Williams, or Fedorov.. But this is just one of many options we have going into next season without signing centre.

Alright, so everyone knows the story with Corey Locke. One of the most amazing season in OHL history (63 goals, 88 assists, 151 points). But his big knock was his size and skating. Being just 5'9 and 175 LBS and not being a great skater (he's good, just not lightning fast).. will always be a downfall.

However, I'm sure a few people can back me here.. Corey Locke was the 2nd most important piece to the Calder Cup winning Hamilton Bulldogs a few seasons ago. Scoring 22 PTS .. no one was even close to him in terms of scoring (Jancevski at 14 and four others at 13).

Anyway, Locke has been a huge part of developing our young players (Kostitsyn, Kostitsyn, Higgins, Lapierre, Carle, Valentenko, etc, etc, etc). He's shown players that sometimes you have to pay your dues to make it where you want to go. And everyone knows Locke has paid his dues for a chance.

I think it's about time to give him a shot. Sure he's a high risk to bust, but there is also a chance he could be a perfectly acceptable NHL player.. but we'll never know without giving him a shot.

I'm much more confident going with 3 offensive lines, then just two. And while we don't know how Locke will turn out, I think we owe it to him to give him a chance.

Of course, he'll have to prove himself at Training Camp..

A. Kostitsyn - T. Plekanec - A. Kovalev
A. Tanguay - S. Koivu - G. Latendresse
C. Higgins - C. Locke - S. Kostitsyn
M. Lapierre - K. Chipchura - G. Laraque
T. Kostopoulos, S. Begin

A. Markov - M. Komisarek
R. Hamrlik - R. O'Byrne
F. Bouillon - J. Gorges
P. Brisebois

C. Price
J. Halak

This isn't my #1 plan or idea.. it's just an option and thought it'd be good for discussion.
If Gainey had thoughts of this kind of internal option , he would have kept Grabovski.

Corey was worth a chance with a 4th round selection , but the end is near for him and Milroy.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote