View Single Post
Old
07-06-2008, 09:47 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Where do you see Pateryn in the upcoming season? What would your D will look like? Are we really talking only on the 3rd pairing?
Though Greg is a promising prospect, he is definitely the weaker of the two defensive newcomers (Devils '08 2nd round pick Brandon Burlon is the other). He is by no means a lock to dress every game, because Michigan has all top-6 D returning (though Chris Summers is moving up to forward in all likelihood) and these two highly touted incoming freshman.

I think a lot of Michigan fans are still a little confused at why the coaching staff decided to bring Greg in this season. Originally, he was scheduled to play the year in the USHL, and come in with the 2009 class. Then, about a month ago or so, he was told that there had been a change in plans and he should report to Ann Arbor this fall, instead. At the time, people thought this had happened because we were about to lose someone (either to an early signing or an academic casualty). But nothing like that has come out yet, and the coaching staff has indicated that they aren't expecting a new roster spot to open. So, it's sort of odd.

When he plays, which pairing he plays on could be more a function of finding compatible partners more than calling him 'a 3rd pairing guy'. If I had to guess, I would expect our D to look like this at the start of the season:

Mark Mitera - Steve Kampfer
Chad Langlais - Brandon Burlon
Scooter Vaughn - Tristan Llewellyn/ Greg Pateryn (rotating games)

Eventually someone is going to get banged up and we'll be thankful to have a high quality #7 defensemen to drop in. And, of course, excellent (or poor) play will result in lineup adjustments. But at the start, it's going to be a bit crowded for Pateryn. And this may not change for a while, as we have only 1 guy expected to leave after this season (senior captain and '06 1st rounder Mark Mitera), and another nice D recruit entering with the 2009 class. So, it will be important for Pateryn (and everyone else) to play well enough when they get ice time to ensure they're not the rotating 6/7 defensemen the following season.

Probably not the answer Habs fans want to hear, but I think most Michigan fans would agree with me at this point.

Last edited by CapsWolverinesUSA: 07-06-2008 at 09:57 PM.
CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote