View Single Post
Old
07-07-2008, 10:41 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Thanks a lot but I'm stunned. Why would you stalled the development of a player like that? Seems to me that if it goes like you're saying, we should not expect the greatest progression out of this guy for another year though he'll be practicing and all but you can't compare that to actual games.

Should've stayed in the USHL if it's going to be like that.....or should have went to another college if he had the choice or wanted to.

I am far from the truth if I think that, right now, Pateryn seems like a poor-man's Mark Mitera? Tough, reliable, with some offensive but mostly a good defensive d-man?
As I said, I definitely expect him to play, just not every game at first. Llewellyn is the weakest of the returning D and I think most everyone believes that Burlon will immediately jump him on the depth chart. While I also think Pateryn is more talented than Llewellyn, Llewellyn has the advantage of having played 35 games last year, including every big game down the stretch and in post-season play, and having done a decent (if unspectacular) job. I think it unlikely that Berenson would sit a returning starter every game, so the obvious initial answer is a rotation with the weaker of the 2 freshman. With the rare mid-week game here and there, the NCAA schedule is pretty consistently two-games per weekend with Sunday-Thursday off for practice. Thus, the back-to-back games particularly lend themselves to rotating depth players. Last year, prior to Tampa draftee Kevin Quick being booted off the team, Quick, Llewelyn and Scooter Vaughn were involved in a 3-man rotation for 2-spots each night. It worked fine, and everyone got enough games to improve. I expect similar results this year.

I don't think Pateryn will be stalled this year. A year of practice with an elite group of players combined with 25 games played will definitely allow him to grow. But obviously more games would be better.

To your last question, Pateryn's rep is being a pretty balanced two-way defensemen. Maybe not excellent in any one asset, but good at everything. Mitera, on the other hand, is pretty much regarded as a big, physical defensive-defensemen with limited offensive abilities.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote