View Single Post
Old
07-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Aucoin > O'Byrne at this point. O'Byrne has great upside, but our depth is incredible defensively.. if we have to ship him off (or another d-man) we can.
You're right, but Aucoin is also slow and vulnerable to the Eastern game. My point is that it's a smallish move up for smallish short term gain on the backend. Let's remember that Calgary let Hamrlik go and signed Aucoin - I'm positive we got the better D in that scenario.

I would really like Lombardi in a Habs uniform, he'd be a great 3rd centre, but if we made this deal:

1. The potential for Sundin in the lineup would put ML at #4 C spot, a waste of $$$
2. Officially lagging our development of centres
3. Which is fine since we'd be giving up probably our best offensive C prospect
4. And our closest D prospect
5. And still have to do ??? which Lapierre (on the wing? yeah right!) & Chipchura

Your proposal isn't really a bad one, n2k4, but there's a development and numbers game here that I'd rather not upset. I don't count my D prospects before they're hatched, see, so anyone not burning up the AHL in Hamilton right now can't be counted on. Is our D-prospect pool deep? Maybe, some might say definitely, but I'd prefer a more conservative style. Subban this, Weber that, but until they turn pro, let's please hang on to O'Byrne.

If we're going to use youth, let's get a real good #4 D or a terrific #1 C, since those are the only places we really need improvement for a "win now" scenario.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote