View Single Post
Old
06-09-2004, 03:35 AM
andora

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = Dud
The Oilers have Reasoner and Horcoff battling out the 3rd line center role. They have no need for Handzus, not especially against the costs of their franchise player. Seidenberg adds nothing.

If you want Smyth, expect Gagne to be involved.

while i think you're really discrediting handzus here, i do agree on the premise that it would cost more (not too much) to get edmonton's franchise player.

handzus is no 3rd line center though, if he was an oiler and smyth was gone, he'd be far and away their best forward, well, pretty much *player* with his skill set and package. in honesty, i'd rather have handzus from gagne too, and this is coming from a major major gagne fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = Dud
In today's market, Pitkanen > Smyth and Carter >> 2nd. That's not pricey, that's an extreme overpayment. I love Smyth to death, he's probably my favorite player never to wear a Stars uni, but he won't fetch a potential top 5, Norris contending defenseman along with a very great center prospect with top 6 upside. Simon Gagne and a little bit else should be able to do the trick in terms of value, whether both teams would go for it is another question..
thinking from edmonton's point of view, in honesty, pitkanen does not equal or is not greater than smyth. i know that's not what you said, but that nonetheless makes this not an overpayment as you suggest. with doug lynch, jeff woywitka, alexei semenov, matt greene, and even brewer and bergeron, pitkanen does not hands down > smyth imo.

the carter > 2nd part i easily agree, but not on the pitkanen one. i'll also restate i know that you were saying this in terms of overall objective market value, but from the oilers standpoint, it isn't that black and white.