View Single Post
Old
07-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
It has to work both ways......we're praising Timmins for his Kosty Jr. and Halak pick, still we're saying that Detroit got lucky with Datsyuk and those guys...

Sure there has to be luck involve. Still, I don't believe entirely in that as far as those picks. For example, clearly Datsyuk, Zetterberg were not doing enough to warrant a first round pick. They had some great deficiencies in their game. But their scout who has to be the best one in that area, knew their upside more than any other scout who would go there once in a while. So they were pick knowing that they had upside but were also pick that late 'cause they didn't deserve being picked earlier.

Sure you never know if nobody would pick them. And that's the luck factor. But they knew that they had some potential in those guys. They obviously didn't know it would be that much.

And then as far as good who's not, well that's the whole debate. Quality vs quantity. Does producing tons of 4th liners compared to 1 or 2 superstars is better 'cause the numbers are greater. I think that both are important. Still, I would prefer that you're able to draft a player that you'll never be able to get via trade. Having the wisdom to pick Price is more important than all of the quantity of the Lapierre of this world that will always be available via trade or UFA period....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote