View Single Post
Old
06-09-2004, 11:46 AM
rnyquist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbox81
NYR, I just didn't like the notion of making a 50/50 split, didn't consider the numbers of it. But I don't want a vet on every line. I think the 2nd line should, somehow, consist of 3 young players we think can be scorers. Make them work and learn together and try to develop a scoring line that lasts more than half the freakin' season (FLY? Czechmates? Jagr-Holik-Rucinsky?).

Also, I see the need for only 2 vet dmen. 3rd pair will hardly play anyway, so why waste the money?

Finally, we have enough young guys on this roster now that we can swap out those that are not deemed ready ("thrown to the wolves"). I'm not looking for a 40 goal scorer, I'm just looking for hard workers who keep a near-even +/- and show an increasing ability to score.
While I do agree with you to a point, here's my two cents. I do feel that every line should have a kid, whether they're 18 or 23, every line should consist of a kid, with the last 3 have AT LEAST 2 kids. IMO a guy like Prucha who showed amazing chemistry with Jagr should be given the chance to play with Jagr and not just sign a guy like Rucinsky and automatically give him a spot. Its notions like this that hurt the team when a guy like Hlavac would come in and take a spot from a guy like Lundmark or Moore who easily outplayed him but was never given the opportunity. I do feel that if we had a vet on every line (2 on the 1st, 1 on the 2nd,3rd and 4th) we'd give each line some leadership, AND youthful vigor. Also I would like to see the defence pairing have one vet, and one kid. If we kept Rachunek, Kasparitis and then even signed Mironov again we could pair Kondratiev, Tjutin and Pock with each, giving each a mentor. IMO it keeps all the kids relaxed knowing a vet is with them, but it also could be a teamwork building thing, as Tjutin credited Mironov for a lot of his success as being a cool head on the ice and on the road.