Old
06-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
Something I'd like to say about Smyth:

As someone who sees a lot of Smyth, it's hard to understand why he is so underappreciated by hockey fans, particularly on the East coast who don't see him as much. Particularly his skillset is what I find gets underrated the most. Some thing he is just a fairly skilled player with great grit. I don't think this is the case. Smyth, while not an elite skillset, is bar none the most skilled Oiler outside of Petr Nedved.

There are few players in this league that can deflect pucks or take a backhanded shot like Smyth can. He can skate really well and handles the puck well. Hits like a ton of bricks. The guy is most than just a gritty player with skill. In fact, he's a skill player with grit rather than the other way around.

This past season was not a very good one for Smyth but on a team like the Flyers, I have little doubt he'd score 70 points and maybe even lead that team in points, Hitchcock or no Hitchcock.
The odd thing about this particular thread is that we are all disagreeing with each other. Yet, I can't find many comments by S7ark, Mizral, JCD, or John that aren't accurate! The fun thing about reading your posts is that you are all very informed posters, in addition to be nice guys.

I think Mizral is nicely suming up why Smyth would command more return than his good offensive production would suggest.