View Single Post
Old
06-09-2004, 02:54 PM
HockeyBurd*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13
I agree but might be those are the only two defensemen they consider top 3 talent.
Well, lets not forget they're talking about Mike Green. Nothing against the guy but he's not a sure fire top 3 defenseman. He's very good but his style is aggressive and physical. He might not exactly have the size that would translate into a top three physical defenseman. Also I've read opinions and heard on the radio that his shot is sub par for a top end D-man. Now I'm not saying I'd be upset if we took him late in the first, though I'd rather not. If we were to focus on depth at this position it would have to be for guys who could likely develop into that number two stay at home defenseman. Whether it be a guy like Valabik, Tesliuk, or some others. IMO, Valabik is the only D-man I would use a 1st round pick on. Unless of course Barker slipped to 6 or maybe Smid or Meszaros somehow slipped to late in the draft. Otherwise a couple of our second rounders could be used to land exactly the type of D-men we need. And there are quite a few.

I'm thinking Tjutin and Pock were two guys on our roster at the end of the season and that's the extent of TSN's research or knowledge into our prospect depth. For anybody who claims to have knowledge of the Rangers system and to leave off Kondratiev and Baranka as top end talent is absurd. At least making the claim that those two are our "lone prospects on defense" is absolutely unreasonable. Not to mention the depth we have at the next tier of D prospects like Lampman, Taylor, Liffiton, etc.

I'm surprised they didn't have us drafting a goalie at 6 claiming that Blackburn is our only goalie prospect and his future is uncertain.

Having said all that, if we came away from this draft with Olesz and Green among our picks then Id be pretty cheery Though for me the big key is going to be what we do with our second rounders. With 7 picks in the top 50, our organizations future could very well be determined this year. Obviously next year will also be big as well.