View Single Post
Old
06-09-2004, 07:38 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
How many players are chosen in the 1st round and thought of 1st line or 2nd liners???
A LOT!!!

EDIT* How many turn out to be bust? Or at best a 4th liner??? Probably the majority if you look at the percentages.

With a player like Chipchura you know what your getting a big physical and defensively sound player with an outside chance of being a 2nd line centre if he can find his offense.

A lot of these "Star" type player being picked to lead the teams into the future always lack weight, size, strength and knowledge of their won end...unless your a 1 - 5 pick, but after that it isn't always cut and dry.

I think the safe pick is the best pick, players like Chipchura usually become your Captain and energy type player like a Peca and Primeau.

We are solid in the top two lines in centres, we need some 3rd line depth and we need more size on the wings and D help is always welcome.

I for one would be happy with this pick, he would be NHL ready sooner than most with his size and defensive strength already, offense can be worked on (miracles won't happen) with the right coaching and linemates.

If you want to draft 3rd liners, Cabana, Steber, Haskins could be had in the 3rd round. McKenize from the USHL is another 3rd line/4th tuff guy with decent hands. I don't know enough about Chipchura to really say, but his lack of offensive production has to be a concern. He seems like a really safe pick though. I'd personally rather not go that route, but we'll see what management does.