View Single Post
Old
06-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Kirk Muller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
You may be right.
However, take a look at where Gelinas is looking.
imho - I think he would have had some kind of reaction if he thought it was even remotely possible that the puck crossed the line.

Personally, I think coaches should have the opportunity/responsibility of calling for a review before the next puck drop.
(kind of like coaches challenges in the NFL)
Games have been shortened to just over 2 1/2 hrs, so the time it would take would be negligible.
If they don't call for a review, the onus is on them for the missed call.
As it is now, it's a "conspiracy" if the league appears to miss this call (no matter how fast it happened).

The play was simply to bang-bang for anyone on the ice to catch it. Thats is my opinion anyhow, and that is why off ice officials are so critical, and when they miss something of this importance, then questions need to be raised. Whether its a goal or not, its all moot, but the lack of an intensive review makes these playoffs a little tainted combined with the wishy washy suspensions, and playing around with reffing assignments.

You bring up an interesting idea from the NFL. Just not sure how you initiate in the NHL. The NFL uses timeouts, but the NHL has only one, and the NHL doesn't have play clocks that would allow a team time to have upstairs personelle to look at it. Then it basically becomes a crap shoot and you gamble if you are right. Although it puts owness on the team, it doesn't do much for the integrity of the game.