View Single Post
Old
07-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Noldo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Shanny was making 2.5 last year.I dont see what warrants a raise.

I heard he was wanting 1 yr under 2 million . (Maybe with incentives?)

Now upgrade over smoklinski for sure who we payed 2 million.

Only question remains is does Plekanac give up his number 14
First of all, don't be mislead by Shanahan's last year's salary. He earned 2,5 million in base salary and 2,8 million on easily attainable bonuses (I think most of it was based on playing 10 regular season games)). So last year Shanny felt that he was worth 5 million. Coming down to 2 or 3 million (even in one year deal) to play for Habs would be significant pay cut.

Secondly, coming season is technically last season for current CBA (untill NHLPA announces that they are going to extend it for 2 more years, they have time untill spring/summer 2009 to make the announcement). Therefore incentives are much less valuable tool for cap management since teams cannot exercise the cap buffer based on incentives this season. It means that teams must be below 56,7 cap INCLUDING any bonuses at the beginning of the season. Therefore nothing can really be gained from basing part of the salary on incentives.

Shanny could be ok fit for Habs (assuming Sundin isn't signed). Right handed shot, experinence and leadership. I haven't followed his game in NY lately, so I can't comment whether he still has the required desire to win and compete. But still, he potted 23 goals last season (3rd best in team after Jagr and Drury) while fans critisised his game. Definetly not an easy fit, but in suitable role could be nice fit.

Noldo is online now   Reply With Quote