View Single Post
Old
07-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
why should he have to settle for a one year deal when somebody gave him 4 or 5. I would be though that if Sather gave him a two or three year deal he would have signed w/ us though. Than we could have had jagr and Nylander together for at least one (more likely all three) i think they would have been productive as well. Sather gambled on him by lowballing him, which isn't the right way to do things either, especially since he was such a key cog to this team.

and now that we have our sad-ass situation fixed up the middle, we now have created 2 problems... 1) being a sad ass situation w/ our cap and 2) a sad ass situation w/ our future stars being in a logjam due to no more room b/c we are trying to make a veteran team around Gomez and Drury. And yes we still would have a small logjam this year if Nyls signed a two year deal than next year Ani would have space to jump into and we would have alot of cap room coming off the books to make a run at a big time winger. But instead we have to pray that the cap keeps skyrocketing so Drury's signing looks better, and we have some flexibility to resign our own players in the next couple years.
It's the team that is bound by the constraints of the CBA, not the player. The Rangers couldn't afford to commit to Nylander for anything longer than the commitment to Jagr, and they damn sure couldn't commit to Nylander's cap hit even if the rotator cuff injury forced (or forces) him to retire.

The current cap constraints weren't even a thought on July 1, 2007. If you think it would have been wise to enter the season with Dubinsky penciled into the top 2 lines, I respectfully disagree. Anisimov could have just as easily had a poor season in Hartford and his development as of today would be a non-issue. All I would say is, when either becomes a player capable of displacing Drury or Gomez, I'll worry about it.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote