View Single Post
Old
07-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Quiet Robert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. But the OP tried to compare the team's drafts, not the management of the clubs, which should be left for a different thread altogether.
That brings up an interesting debate. How do we distinguish between solid drafting, solid development and solid management? I haven't really thought it through, but my guess is it's all pretty grey with few clear lines.

For me management is inextricably tied to drafting. A good draft is immensely helpful in roster management. You draft 5-10 players every year and on average maybe 2 become NHL regulars. So what you do with the rest of those picks can be just as important as how you develop your future NHLers. Take Grabovski for instance, was he a good pick because he was no.150? Because he he developed into an NHLer? Or because he got us an asset and a high pick?

The answer is probably that all three factors make him a "good pick." Gainey, knowing Grabovski had little future in the organization's plans, was able to trade an asset he acquired in the draft for defensive depth and a high pick.

Conversely, we lost a no.25 pick, Alexander Perezhogin to RSL, yet the team didn't hit a bump. Is Perezhogin a bad pick? Was his development off track? Did the team mismanage him? So there are many ways to go about this. It's a lot more complex than looking at 2001 and saying 2 out of 8 picks made it to the NHL. 25% =great draft. That is definitely a solid start but there's more to it.

We also picked up two solid AHLers, a part-time NHLer and a part-time AHLer. So we picked up assets in 6 of 8 picks. This helped our depth which down the line allowed to trade a guy like Grabovski and lose a guy like Perezhogin without it meaning much to the big club. So basically I'm just saying that when you look at whether or not Detroit "drafts well" you're looking at a complicated subject.

-But when you break it down to its simplest elements, you're looking Stanley Cup winning team that has 9/12 forwards, 4/8 dmen, 1/2 goalies that come from the system. That is amazing drafting no matter how complicated your analysis gets.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote