View Single Post
Old
07-16-2008, 02:26 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
You guys all need to work on your reading comprehension.

Dellapina said "The club will announce sometime today that it has re-signed Nigel Dawes to a one-year contract in the $600,000 range."

That could be anything from $600,000 to $699,999. Which, given the comparables and what Dawes has actually accomplished (not what most of you think he's capable of... I've seen people here giving him $1.2m and over... for what I ask?!) is right about in line.
Well, speaking as one who predicted a salary in that range, the answer is simple - to lock him up for two years. On a one year deal, I absolutley agree that $1MM+ would be silly, but if you get him to give up one or more years of UFA status, that's gonna cost you. If you do believe he's capable of scoring 30, it makes a lot of fiscal sense to lock him up at a lower price if you can. 'Cause if he signs for one year at $625K (or whatever it turns out to be) and then goes 30-30-60, you ain't getting him back for less than $4MM as an UFA next year.

I wasn't a big fan of Dawes based on the few games I saw in HFD, but when he came up and stuck last year, I have to say he showed me something. I think his potential is worth a couple more hundred thou this year, if you can lock him up for multiple years. I look at it as risk/reward. The risk isn't that high - but the reward could be.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote