View Single Post
Old
07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
NYRBlaznBure9

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to NYRBlaznBure9
I find it unbelievable some of you wanted to sign a 35 year old Nyls to a 4-5 year deal...making essentially only about 2 million less than Drury a year. Perhaps this year Nylander and Jagr would've managed to keep up their success but at the ages of 35 and 36 its not likely at all they would keep up that kind of production. Say what you want about Drury, the guy is a winner..period. He costs a bit more than Nylander, but will likely be a better option in the near future (if not already). The fact of the matter is that this team is a defensive powerhouse, and is being built to further aid in that category- Drury fits that perfectly, while Nylander is far from it.

Futhermore- take into account that Drury was the teams 3rd line center for much of the year, and the playoffs (because Jagr only really had success with Dubi making him the 1st line center by default). Sorry...but you cant compare what Nylander did with 1st line time with a year younger Jagr to what Drury did with a year older (and terrible much of the year) Shanny and Dawes or another role player.

Bottom line- I would've been all for Nylander on a 1-2 year deal worth 4-5 million. When we need to lock into a 40 year old riding Jagr's back for 5 million in a tight salary cap era, it's time to look elsewhere. At the end of Drury's contract I would bet money on the fact that he will be the better option than Nylander at the same time. And since Jagr's moved on..we could've been stuck with Nylander for 3-4 sub-par years at a hefty price.

There really is no argument here.

NYRBlaznBure9 is offline   Reply With Quote