View Single Post
Old
07-17-2008, 05:05 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Sorry to bring back such an old thread (it's from the CBA FAQ, so I thought it'd be remotely appropiate)...

This is concerning Ordinary Course Buyouts Outside the Regular Period...

The CBA says in 11.18

To me (and I'm no expert), that says that a club with more than one arbitration hearing (I'm assuming that entails the contract actually being settled in arbitration) is eligible to pursue this type of buyout. Teams with 0 or 1 arbitration hearings may not.

Now according to a recent Boston Globe article:

Off the top of my head, the Bruins only have one arbitration case (Wideman) and if he settles, they would obviously have none...so, am I misinterpreting this clause or is there more to it in other parts of the CBA or... what's the deal here?
Cut-and-Pasting from a post in a Goc elects arbitration thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
Also, despite the collective CBA wisdom here, it looks like the Sharks may have a 2nd buyout period available after Goc's award/contract - the generally accepted "you need two arbitration cases" is not actually true.

A closer reading of Article 11.18 shows that the only case where a team is prevented from exercising an Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period is when the team has a single arbitration case that was team elected (for a player who earned >$1.5M) - thanks mouser for that catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser
For the 2nd buyout window, are two arbitration cases mandatory?

Quote:
11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period. Clubs shall have the
right to exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary
Course Buy-Outs in accordance with Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be
limited to no more than three (3) such buyouts over the term of this Agreement pursuant
to Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary
arbitration hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a)
in a given League Year, such Club shall
not be entitled to exercise such a buyout outside the regular period for Ordinary Course
Buy-Outs
. No Club shall exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-out outside the regular period
for any Player earning less than $1 million.
Section 12.3(a) is for the club-elected arbitration on players making $1.5m or more. Since 12.3(a) is specifically called out here, that would suggest the 2nd buyout window would open if there were a single arbitration under 12.2 (player-elected), or even 12.3(b) (second clause category of team-elected)?

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote