View Single Post
Old
07-20-2008, 08:15 AM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
for the love of god, i dont think he sucks and if you read my previous posts on this and the thread about whether Drury was a bad signing you'll see i say i like him and appreciate what he brings.

Maybe i should have said overrated by certain posters, that would have been more accurate.

I even say maybe his contract may cloud judgement but people on here can't say they never expected more from him last year and certainly in the playoffs, after all thats why he was getting so much money because he comes up big when it matters most. but for some reason he was a non-factor apart from great penalty killing he pretty much wasn't there, he was also owned by Madden in faceoffs.

Honestly i hope he plays out his skin next year then all this would be irrelevant.
Settle down. I said the expectations I listed are only high if you believe he sucks. I didn't say "you think he sucks".

He might be overpaid, but the poll is most overrated and you even qualify it yourself with "overrated by certain posters". That's a far cry from being the most overrated player on the Rangers.

It's great that everyone has an opinion on this. I just don't get it. I don't really see the posts around here that overrate and overvalue Drury. Money has nothing to do with this and that is the majority of complaints about Drury. But I don't see overblown expectations from him. No one lists him as a #1 center, which would be an overestimation of his abilities. No one slots him for more than 70 pts. People on these boards start threads about him and how he's not a superstar, how he's not worth his salary. I don't see how you can be ripped on and be overrated at the same time.

I'm not even going to sit here and say he hasn't lived up to the hype completely or fulfilled every expectation, but to go from there to most overrated is a huge jump. Falling short is hardly being overrated.

What I think I'm seeing is a backlash towards Drury for his salary after a weird free agency period. Maybe some see his salary as a reason why we didn't get Jagr or Hossa and now they're looking back on that signing. Or maybe it's the logjam at center. Those might be justified gripes but it has nothing to do with a players performance or his projections.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote