View Single Post
Old
07-22-2008, 02:00 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Shanny scored 23 goals in 73 games...that's actually not so bad, and I don't remember saying to myself that Gomez is setting Shanny up left and right and he can't finish. One thing Shanny was still able to do was shoot, and if Shanny got the puck from Gomez in shooting position, he'd get off a quality shot. If he was a crutch because Shanny didn't play Gomez's run and gun style and that hurt him, well then that's another thing, but at the same time Gomez equaled his second highest point total last season and I don't know if I would've expected much more than 70 points from him if he wasn't playing with Jagr. Also, his assist tally was two less than his career best. It was right up there with one of his finest seasons in the NHL.

EDIT: I'm not saying Jagr's a lot better than Gomez. Better, yes, not a lot better. Gomez has never been the go-to guy on a team. He was a part of teams that had a bunch of really good guys who weren't superstars. Guys who can score 40 goals one season and 25 the next. That's the boat he's in again with the Rangers. And while in that situation his numbers also were all over the place. Playing on a second line behind Jagr benefitted Gomez, and it benefitted the Rangers. Not having that will be different and it will be interesting to see how these players respond. I like the idea of having a 'team'. I'm just not sure I'm in love with how it's made up at the current moment.
what i saw from shanny this season was that he would always ruin good rushes with shots from the blue-line because he was behind the play.....also, gomez always had to do all the work down low to get the puck because shanny wouldnt go into the corner....if gomez had a player more suited to him he wouldve had 80 points easily

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote