Thread: OT: Blog World
View Single Post
Old
07-22-2008, 11:37 PM
dashingsilverfox*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Okay, DSF, time for me to borrow your resident curmudgeon title.

The item you linked to is kind of like discussion about a soap opera. Except instead of fictional characters, it's people talking all about themselves and their small group. Who is writing for which blog? Will their blog be the bloggiest? Who has the most cleverest pen name? Blog blog blog.

After reading who Staples interviewed, it looks like I know one of the people behind Oilers Nation from school (and his brother). I think he's a great guy and I hope he does well. But that doesn't change my general distaste for narcissism so prevalent in the "blogosphere".

There's a Oilers blog by a moderator on here which is quite good except that every posting has to begin with 2 or 3 paragraphs of something to do with baseball, and then describe things like how much ice time someone will have as how many "at-bats" they will have. Mixing sports and mixing metaphors at the same time. I don't get it.

Sheesh! End rant.
Well my friend?, we actually share many views on the "blogosphere".

I got in a whole lot of excrement last night when one blogger compared Horcoff to Larry Walker which just sent me into a shiver.

There is indeed a self congratulatory network of folks who have anointed themselves the all knowing priests of hockey based on stats that would make the Jesuit pursuit of "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" look like an empty search for the fountain of youth.

I don't want to start another **** storm here, but they have convinced themselves Horcoff is a top ten centre in the league despite an overwhelming amount of evidence to the contrary. But, like any piece of conventional wisdom, if it's repeated often enough, especially in a small circle of like minds, it becomes the gospel and can only be questioned under the threat of burning at the stake.

Having said that, there are some very acute minds, MC79 and Mirtle come to mind, who also have some perspective and a view of the big picture.

The blogosphere is an emerging source of valuable information, partially due to the lack of real journalism evident among MSM sports reporters, but there are also huge red flags that need to be raised because, other than folks like Mirtle, they have none of the constraints that MSM face daily.

Sorry for the ramble.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote