Thread: OT: Blog World
View Single Post
Old
07-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Giant Moo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Well my friend?, we actually share many views on the "blogosphere".
Oh wondrous day.

Quote:
There is indeed a self congratulatory network of folks who have anointed themselves the all knowing priests of hockey based on stats that would make the Jesuit pursuit of "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" look like an empty search for the fountain of youth.
I don't mind people analysing statistics so much as I mind narcissism prevalent in so many blogs (and not necessarily Oiler blogs). I find it the antithesis of journalism. The author should never make themselves be the news.

A few years back there was a story in the ed Journal supplement (when it was still printed) where one of their writers did this whole huge piece all about herself. I found it the most conceited piece I've ever read, and I got a letter to the (ed)itor printed the next week voicing my disapproval. I think that author is now doing "entertainment" journalism, which I don't think is a coincidence.

Oh, and I would like to live the rest of my life without having to see another blog with the words "random thoughts" in the title (or anything like that -- like "random musings from...").

Quote:
The blogosphere is an emerging source of valuable information, partially due to the lack of real journalism evident among MSM sports reporters, but there are also huge red flags that need to be raised because, other than folks like Mirtle, they have none of the constraints that MSM face daily.
Agreed, and number one issue is anonymity. How many times have Oiler blogs posted arguments which were not only wrong, but potentially libelous? Things that would get a regular newspaper sued?

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote