View Single Post
Old
06-12-2004, 03:48 PM
Dantes19

vCash: 500
Good post. Seems like a lot of the recent longing for Tortorella falls into the category of "hindsight is 20/20".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch
I'm no fan of Glen Sather, but I feel he's getting unfairly criticized for losing Tortorella to Tampa Bay. What exactly did Tortorella do in his time with the Rangers to deserve consideration for the head coaching job? He was an assistant and interim head coach for a bad team. Before that, he was an assistant with Phoenix and Buffalo. Head Coaching wise, he had only had success once- guiding the Rochester Americans to the Calder Cup Championship in 1995-1996. Unlike Ryan McGill, Tortorella hadn't showed enough to be merited an interview. If you guys remember, he didn't even get the Lightning Head Coaching job right away. He was hired as an assistant because of his NHL experience and when Steve Ludzik got fired, he became coach. It won't be the worst thing in the world if we hire Coach Q over Ryan McGill. Ryan McGill is no sure bet and Quenneville isn't Ron Low. While I know every great coach in the NHL today had to get their chance one day as unknowns like Ryan McGill and Tortorella, Quenneville has had prior success as a Head Coach and is less risky then McGill. Either one will be fine, but we need to stop bringing up Tortorella.