View Single Post
Old
06-13-2004, 04:20 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2

Unless you're talking 05/06 season Perezhogin is playing in Russia, remember hes suspended.

No, it's only being discussed as a plan. First, the IIHF has to allow Alex to play in any Euro league. They already said it shouldn't be a problem, but they still have to have an official vote. (it's in their bylaws, that a suspended player has to go before the IIHF council, but given that he has a clean record, they said he should be allowed to play) 2nd, the Habs are trying to secure a spot for Alex to play, but based on the fact that he can come back if he's allowed to play in the NHL (whenever that would be based on what the NHL decides and if there's a season to come back to) Now you have to think, what would make a team in Russia take Perezhogin on their roster, only to have him possibily yanked away whenever the Habs feel like taking him. Yes it would seem that Omsk would be the likely choice since Alex did well in his year + there, but I don't know how keen they would be on losing him at a certain point during the season.

Also, from what I understand, the Habs are willing to appeal any NHL suspension, if he gets one. Colin Campbell has said he doesn't know if they can hold Alex out of the NHL legally, and that it would have to be reviewed this summer.

And, the Hamilton police have not yet decieded if they will charge Alex or not, so if he's charged, he won't be allowed to leave Canada I would think.

Right now we still have no idea what will happen to Alex, but it's looking like Russia is a strong chance he'll play there, but it hasn't been cleared or set in stone. The Russian Federation can be difficult to work with, so for now, we'll just have to see what happens.