View Single Post
Old
06-13-2004, 07:54 AM
DarthSather99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
Three draft patterns I've noticed from Sather over the past 4 years...

1. He loves to trade down and pick up extra draft picks. I think he's done that in the 2nd round twice already, and several times in the mid-to-later rounds. So despite all the early picks, dont be surprised if Sather trades down with some of them and maximizes his value. Dont forget that we dont have any 3rd or 4th rounders this year. I'm willing to bet that we'll add one of those on draft day.

2. Sather puts a high priority on a player's character and coachability when drafting. He tells Maloney and his scouts that all players drafted by the Rangers must have a good head on their shoulders. They have that sexy female psychologist come in and evaluate each kid. Based on that, I'm guessing they're not too high on Schremp and possibly Radulov.

3. In the mid-rounds, Sather and his staff tend to go for guys out of the USHL or high school. Two years ago they drafted like four guys from the Green Bay Gamblers. And like someone mentioned earlier, they dont put as much of a priority on size in the later rounds as they do in the early (Prucha, Dawes, Reese, etc.).
I think you hit the nail on the head. Except in case #1 Sather has HAD to trade down to recoup the picks he's thrown away in trades. So, I don't know if there is a trend here unless you consider that we HAVE to trade down to get back picks because we traded them away. I agree Sather will trade down again in the second round for possibly a 3rd/4th rounder because AGAIN we have thrown away picks.. I hope he does not trade out of the first round. Alot of good players will be dropping.