View Single Post
Old
07-26-2008, 11:37 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
Our case is obviously a special one because with four of those contracts even having those players was the result of sucking big time in the past.

But this, seriously, is not to brag about my own team. You played us tougher than any other team in the East last year, and I respected that team and NY in general. As I said, you can try and do the same excercise with many other teams and see what you come up with. Whichever way players are signed, if the spine of your team is heavily overpaid and on long term contracts... then you have a problem. As all of these guys have gotten their contracts in the last year, it is one your management is ultimately reponsible for.

Simply the realisation that if you sign players at elevated contracts on the open market, you better be sure that they are that good, and fit the needs of your team. Otherwise you pass.
I tend to agree. I think the Rangers should have held back on at least one of the d-men. I'll add that 7 mil for a 32 year old Drury is too much. When his contract expires it will be 7 mil for a 37 year old Drury. Though he's overpaid the logic for the signing was good at the time as the team believed after losing to the Sabres in '07 that they were a player or two away possibly from being a championship team--specifically a 2nd line center and a puck moving pwp d-man. I don't think the Rangers as presently constituted are a legit contender having just lost their one truly elite forward. I think we're taking a step back and I don't see the logic of signing either Redden or Roszival long term for the kind of money they're making. I suppose though that it's possible that Zherdev might step somewhat into Jagr's role but that's a we'll see. The Rangers most valuable assets as of now are Lundqvist, Staal, Zherdev and Dubinsky--only one of them is getting the big money and with limited cap space the Rangers will probably have to play hardball with some if not all of them.

Last edited by eco's bones: 07-26-2008 at 11:42 AM.
eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote