View Single Post
Old
07-29-2008, 09:35 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
I remember that just before he got traded to the stars, I also thought it would be a good idea to move Ribeiro for a Dman.

Streit was unproven at the time... Komisarek was only a 5th/6th dman at the time... and Dandenault/Bouillon were bottom pairing dmans. So, a depth dman was needed...

Ribeiro had regressed (or seemed to) the year before and didn't play well enough in the playoffs. He was the #2 center at the time after Saku. We also had Plekanec who showed he had a good potential on the bottom lines of the team the season before... and it was the time to give a bigger role to Pleks in the team.

So, trading Ribeiro was an option and was a realistic one; the mistake is what he has been traded for. Yeah, it's possible he had little value at the time like some people say; though, if that's the case, you just don't trade him... especially for a player whom at 25% of his salary at the time, wouldn't even have been claimed on waivers (niinimaa also had a mediocre reputation at the time).

I don't really know if Gainey thought the same thing at the time but I think it's crazy to think only think Ribeiro's reputation got him out of montreal.

The talk at the previous deadline wa that they tried to acquire Halpern for him, but Washington wanted no part of him. That talk along with some comments made here and there, convinced me that no one wanted him. I think there was some talk about him out there and some GM's didn't want to touch him.

I think that Gainey was in a position that made dealing him a popular thing in the offices upsatirs. I don't think that he was out and out pressured but if enough writing is on the wall.....

I can't prove that because oddly, they never include me in these goings on, but that's what I believe. I think that they could've'should've done better than Janne but I'm not sure there was a market. I think he had exhausted the market the previous deadline.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote