View Single Post
Old
06-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Kodiak

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
My guess is that Umberger may be moved to the wing.

Center is our deepest position by far, and wing is our weakest.

As of today Umberger would likely be our 3rd best center prospect behind Carter and Richards. we also have Patrick Sharp who split time between the Flyers and Phantoms this year.

Our wing depth is pretty sad with just Ruzicka and Eager as bonafide prospects.
I think Umberger would stay at center for the time being. Carter and Richards are good prospects, but still years away from the NHL. The Flyers may have good prospect depth at center, but the immediate future of the big club is up in the air. Roenick and Sharp are the only centers under contract for next season. Handzus is restricted and will be brought back, but Primeau and Zhamnov could easily jump ship. And with the concussions Roenick suffered, who knows how much time he has left or how healthy he will be for the rest of his playing days.

I think Umberger gives you a young offensive center that is close to NHL-ready, and that's exactly what you need. Primeau (if he comes back) and Handzus are better suited to shut-down roles, IMO. Roenick is on his last legs, and I wouldn't trust Sharp with an offensive role. If Roenick goes down, Umberger plays next year.